Sunday, November 13, 2011

getting creative with crust

I have been having so much fun playing around with pie crust recipes. A pie crust is one of those things that keep people from making their own pies for many reasons. They are hard to get just right, they take a long time to make and it can be messy process. Now add having to make a gluten-free crust and you are looking at a much bigger job. Since I love pie so much for pretty much any meal of the day, I have been working on crusts that are fast, easy, healthy and create almost no mess. I will save my fancy "real" pie crust recipe for special occasions. For the every day pie, I have been loving my nut crust. And now I have a new favorite crust made with coconut flakes that I used with a pumpkin pie filling this week. It was so simple. Put coconut flakes, eggs, butter, vanilla,  cinnamon and stevia into the food processor and blend until incorporated and pasty. Spread in the bottom of a buttered pie pan and add your filling. Yum! (I don't have time to figure out proportions right now, but if you want them just leave a comment and I will try and get it to you.) 

this blog is part of Real Food Wednesdays


2 comments:

Shay said...

Thanks for sharing! My son can't have gluten. Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ New Follower!

Shay said...

Thanks for sharing! My son can't have gluten. Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ New Follower!