Wednesday, September 28, 2011

a nut crust apple pie! (gluten-free, GAPS diet friendly, grain free, sugar free)


I know, I know, another apple pie. I just can't help it. It is an all time favorite food for us to make and eat around here. We make it using such healthy ingredients that we have it for breakfast, lunch dinner and dessert. 
My dearest friend gave me a huge box of apples for my birthday last week. She went to a local farm and picked them herself. They were delicious and of course we had to make pie with them. So far I think we are up to 5 pies and still have apples left. Well, as usual, I didn't have the right ingredients to make it, so we improvised. This time I think we came up with a winner. Everyone agreed that this was the best apple pie ever and for an added bonus it was the easiest one to make. All you really need are nuts. It is gluten free, GAPS diet friendly, grain free, and sugar free. (dairy free too if you leave off the whipped cream or use coconut cream instead)


my husband loves this thing and as you can see the kids do to. It peals, cores and slices the apples at the same time with just a turn of the crank. Pretty nifty. 











Nut Crust
(Makes enough for one crust)

2 C Crispy Nuts of Your Choice. ( I like to use a mixture)
3 Eggs1/4 t Sea Salt
1/4 - 1/3 C Date Sugar
1/3 C Melted Butter (or Coconut Oil)
1 t Vanilla

1 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Nutmeg
1/2 t baking soda

Apple Filling

10 - 12 small to medium apples (Pealed and sliced
1/2 C Date sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg

Combine all pie crust ingredients in food processor and blend until consistency of crunchy peanut-butter. Spread out on the bottom of a buttered pie pan. Add apple filling on top and bake at 350 for 30 min. At this point cover with foil and bake for another 30 - 45 min or until apples are  nice and juicy and bubbling., Take out of oven and let cool for 30 min. Serve with fresh whipped cream on top.









5 comments:

wordplayhouse® said...

I'm glad to have found your space here. We having been apple picking, apple baking and apple eating...and this looks like a healthy, delicious way to bake up more apples.

Your little one is a beautiful new part of your family.

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful and a great way to add healthy nuts to my diet while replacing the refined wheat, and having a healthier whole food sweet. I was wondering though if you need to refrigerate it because of the egg in the crust? I was thinking of making mini-muffin size versions of these to take to work and share.

Anonymous said...

Date sugar is not GAPS-legal.

yanmaneee said...

curry 6
golden goose
hermes birkin
off-white
giannis shoes
supreme shirt
kyrie 5 spongebob
goyard handbags
yeezy 380
jordan 11

tayte said...

view publisher site get more click over here view click to investigate navigate to these guys