Sunday, November 07, 2010

the story of rumpelstiltskin in clay



Last week we used the The Story of Rumpelstiltskin for our morning story time. I read the story the first 2 days out of our favorite Grimm's Fairy Tales Book and then on the third day I told the story from memory. I have to admit that I am least comfortable with telling the story from memory for some reason and have been hesitant to do it. I have read so many times how important it is so I gave it a try.  I was so surprised how comfortable it felt and I really saw how important it was to do by the way my kids responded. Although my kids love listening to stories being read to them and would probably sit for hours doing so, they were so much more attentive and engrossed in the story when I was telling it to them using eye contact and not looking down at a book. While I told the story of Rumpelstiltskin they drew pictures about the story and then we took out some clay and made something with it from the story.

Jetta worked so hard and focused on her spinning wheel.

She made a wonderful little Rumpelstiltskin spinning straw into gold......

and pilot steadily worked to create the fire that Rumpelstiltskin would jump over.

He even went outside and collected the straw (chives) for Rumpelstiltskin to spin into gold.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: