Thursday, April 15, 2010

Taking the Right and Wrong Out of Learning


We constantly hear throughout out our lives that we are either doing things the right way or the wrong way. And the consensus seems seems to be that you only have 2 choices and you won't know which one you have chosen until someone else tells you. This idea is, in my opinion, a terrible way of learning as it stifles the very essence of the human spirit. We are born to explore and to be creative. In either of these things one must keep an open mind and not fixate on finding a definite answer, but rather explore the options of the many truths that can be found and use the human imagination to create more options than can be taught to answer the questions of life all around us.
I see my children come up with answers to life's questions that I myself had not thought of. Sometime my first instinct in to want to tell them the "right" answers that were once told to me, but if I first explore there hypothesis, I find a new way of seeing something that I thought I had already figured out.

An example of this is when I cook with my daughter. She will have her own ideas of recipes that she wants to make. I, because I have been cooking for many more years than she, know that if you don't put baking soda in the batter, the cake won't rise, but instead I chose to let her see what happens. And to my surprise she came up with a delicious desert that the whole family loved. She called it Pie-Cake.
Of course I do share with her my own experiences with any given subject, but I try to first let her explore her own ideas. This exploration gives her the ability to trust her own instincts and to know for sure that there are many directions to go in life and that the "Wrong Way" may actually be the "Right Way" for her. Or better yet, she will find that there are so many paths that have yet to be explored, and she is only limited by her own imagination.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

WorldSchooler said...

Nice Post Priscilla. It is so true that their little imaginative minds can come up with amazing ideas that we just can't with all of our preconceptions. They just see things so beautifully!