Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"for good"

At it's worst, the performing arts can be all about competition and stepping on others to push your way to the top. At its best, it can be a way to express joy and sadness at the same time with a single note. It can touch the heart of those in it's presence. It can enliven even the hardest of souls. It can be the ultimate communication tool. It can cross borders of every kind and link together each one of us with the sound that we all recognize. This weekend I brought some of my students to Baywoods of Annapolis, a retirement home, to perform some Broadway favorites and a few timeless holiday songs. The smiles and tears that  spread around the room made me remember again why I love singing and theatre. It is not about who is best or even whether you did your best........but more,  it is about the communication from performer to audience. That is where the magic happens. It is in that single moment, that exchange that takes place, that lives are changed......."for good".  I know mine has been.
"so much fun to see my daughter and son up there having a blast!"

I look forward to performing again for this beautiful community.
sharing with: