Monday, April 25, 2011

My Urban Farm : Phase 1


So, we have embarked on a journey to create a farm in our own back yard. I am not sure if I can technically call it a farm, but I like the way it sounds. I have had a dream of living on a farm with lots of animals for a while, but also love to life close to others and have a community for my children to grow up in. John and I decided that we could have the farm I want and the wonderful neighbors we have at the same time by using every bit of space we have right hear in the middle of the city. I started last year with putting a garden box in out front yard and loved it. This year we have bigger plans. My vision is to have enough food for even friends and neighbors to enjoy. I want my children to really see where food comes from with their hands. I want to see how much I can grow on this tiny piece of land. Hopefully chickens are in our future too.

We started the transformation by cutting down a massive tulip poplar in our back yard that was leaning toward our house and starting to rot. Now we have sun and can start to grow. 
After we get rid of all this wood. Everyone got involved. Thanks Grandma Boo! 

Pilot had fun making this stump into a drum.
John got started building the garden boxes. We planned to make 9 in all.
Time to bring in the soil.
After the stump was ground down we had tons of mulch to spread over the garden. That was a workout.
Even with his back out John worked away happily. I am just glad he loves building stuff. 
Lots of little helpers made the work so much fun.
Grandma Boo worked through the rain and cold. She is one touch woman.
Enjoying my tea.
Planting begins.......so far we have planted watermelons, pumpkins, lettuce, kale, chard, radishes, arugula, cabbage, peas, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apples, plums and figs ................
The thing I love most about this is that we can do it together as a family. The garden brings us closer and keeps us grounded on the earth with a healthy amount of dirt under our nails.

::Check back to see phase 2::












1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This is awesome! I'm super excited to see how it progresses - what a huge project and I love your attitude. We have wanted backyard chickens for years and years but a giant - and I mean GIANT pine tree in our backyard is home to several raccoons. I'm not sure that would be the wisest choice for us. :(